Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
63724254

I would like some advice on having a garnishment on my bank

Customer Question

I would like some advice on having a garnishment on my bank account removed. This is for an outstanding credit card debt against my spouse who is only a signor on the account. He receives social security and has no other income.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
Is there a specific question with which I can assist?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I resolve this situation?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Is Social Security the only money that goes into that account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. His social security has been going to another account. My income is the only source for this account. He has no other income.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to have to opt out of this one and let a FL expert look it over. If no one does I'll get back with you later to make sure you get an answer but I want them to have first crack at it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When will I hear from someone? I believe I only have 10 minutes. Will it be within the 10 minutes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this it for today then?
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.
Attached is a template to claim an exemption in Florida: http://www.lsgmi.org/downloads/StoppingAFloridaGarnishment.pdf Since the debt is your spouse's your bank account cannot be garnished. Also, if your spouse only relies on social security benefits, that money is exempted. See link so that you may fill out and file. I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. I previously completed this form and send it to the creditor and the bank but not the courts. Will that make a difference?
You must send it to the court as well. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if the credit company rejected this? Should I still redo an incluse a copy to the courts?
Yes.Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
My pleasure.Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. Thank you.
Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am satisfied with the response. I will submit the form to the courts.
You have to rate my answer so that I can receive credit. Please rate. Thank you.
There should be a rating tab that you can click to rate. Thanks.
Please rate my answer. Thank you.
Please rate my answer. Otherwise I will receive no credit for my time and efforts. Thank you for your cooperation.
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.