Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

I am the first successor trustee in a family revocable trust. My mother was the trustee un

Customer Question

I am the first successor trustee in a family revocable trust. My mother was the trustee until she died last year. Her house was in a family revocable trust and she had a reverse mortgage on it. My brother took out a loan to pay off the reverse mortgage putting the property in a Fiduciary Deed with both of us named on the deed. He agreed to do this so that our Dad,84 years old,and I can stay in the house. My brother is "renting" the house to me and my father and we have a lease. The title company named him as the buyer and me as the seller in order for his bank to lend him the money for the reverse mortgage pay-off. An Affidavit for Confirmation of Continuity of Trust by Trustee was written up by the title agency stating the the Trust has not been "revoked, altered or amended in any way which would affect the capacity of (myself)to act as Trustee nor the powers ...to hold and administer real estate constituting Trust assets". Can my brother sell the house without my consent?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
The chain of title isn't clear to me. Please list the transfers by deed individually starting with the transfer from the family trust after your mother passed away. I'll be back on line early Sat. a.m. and we are on the same time.