Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

I live in PA. My mom died last august without a will but my

Customer Question

I live in PA. My mom died last august without a will but my sister was given written permission to be executor of her estate. She only had her house. My sister says all the proceeds are hers since mom always said "she would be rich when mom died because she would have two houses". Can my sister just keep the $64,000 for herself after she paid all taxes and bills?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Can my sister just keep the $64,000 for herself after she paid all taxes and bills?
.
No, if mother passed without a will, then her estate would be divided under PA intestacy laws. If mother was unmarried when she passed and you and sister are the only heirs, then you would split any surplus proceeds equally once all debts of the estate were paid.
.
If sister files a probate case to settle the estate, she has a legal duty to follow the law and the judge will hold her to it in making an equal division of the proceeds of the estate.
.
Mother's comments to sister have no legal enforceability since mother didn't put sister as sole heir in a will.
.
.
thanks