Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Providing Estate Planning since 1986 - Specialties include corporations, trusts, philanthropic and individual planning
1929974

relating to the federal estate tax laws. if a loan is given

relating to the federal estate tax laws. if a loan is given from the estate of a person while he is alive to a family member what would be the proper paperwork , bookeeping and accounting so when the estate is taxed upon death the loan is not included as a taxable "gift" ?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Lane :

Hi

Lane :

First, you would need a promissory agreement or any other loan document (an agreement for the loan itself) that complies with the requirements for loan documents in your state ... Second, be very sure that the interest is paid back to the trust at a rate that is commensurate with the market (otherwise you'll have what IRS calls a below-market loan which, in this scenario, would constitute a gift and/or result in the IRS charging imputed interest to the trust ... Third, be sure that the rrust reports this interest on it's 1041 as it would any other income, such as any other interest income, rental income, etc.

Lane :

Sorry, just looked back and saw you used the word estate ... everything above applies, conceptually, just substitute the word loan Maker

Lane :

YOu can set up the terms of the loan any way you want (monthly payments of principal and Interest, interest only, etc) ... the main thing, again, is that realistic market rates are charged and that payments are made (or again, back to the terms of the loan you COULD have the loan capitalize interest not paid - added to the principal of the loan)

Lane :

And in terms of death ... when the loan maker dies, there will be money owed to the estate, if the estate is still outstanding

Lane :

The exeuctor can then demand that payment continue, and pass that asset along to others, forgive the debt and issue a 1099 to the borrower and write off the bad debt on the 1041 OR the person's last tax return OR simply forgive it and then that would not be a gift but rather an inheritance

Lane :

If the estats is nt above the exemption equivalent of $5,250,000, then there would be no issue, in terms of transfer tas (estate tax, of a decedent, or gift tax if it's a transfer whilc alive)

Lane :

sorry for the typos.... essentially the loan will be an asset of the estate

Lane :

Questions?

Lane :

Here are the best practices (mentioned above) in terms of not having the loan perceived as a gift and added back at all...

Lane :

Structuring Loan So It Is Recognized. The IRS presumes a transfer of
money to a family member is a gift, unless the transferor can prove he
received full and adequate consideration. Avoid the IRS gift presumption
by affirmatively demonstrating that at the time of the transfer a bona fide
creditor-debtor relationship existed by facts evidencing that the lender can
demonstrate a real expectation of repayment and intention to enforce the
debt. Treatment as a bona fide debt or gift depends on the facts and
circumstances.
Summary: Structuring and Administration of Loan to Avoid Gift
Presumption.
6.
• Sign a promissory note
• Establish a fixed repayment schedule
• Set a rate at or above the AFR in effect when the loan originates
• Secure or collateralize the debt
• Demand repayment
• Maintain records that reflect a true loan transaction
• Repayments are made
• Borrower solvency
• Do not have a prearranged schedule to forgive the loan

Lane :

One of the factors in determining whether the loan is a bona fide loan rather than
an equity transfer is whether the borrower had the ability to repay. The ability to
repay was only one of nine factors examined in Miller v. Commissioner (T.C.
Memo. 1996-3), but there is significant danger that a loan to someone without the
ability to repay the loan may not be respected as a loan.

Lane :

If you DO decide to accrue the interest .... see this:

Lane :

Nevertheless, if interest
accrues but is not actually payable, the original issue discount (OID) rules will
apply, and they generally require that a pro rata amount of the overall amount of
the OID over the life of the loan must be recognized each year as ordinary income,
even for cash basis taxpayers. The amount of OID included in income each year is
generally determined under a “constant yield method” as described in the §1272
regulations. Treas. Reg. §1.1272-1(b)(1).

Customer:

great information exactly what i needed thank you

Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience: Providing Estate Planning since 1986 - Specialties include corporations, trusts, philanthropic and individual planning
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the rating Steve,

Glad we could help

Lane
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.
Hi steve,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Lane