RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

If you inherit money from someone in one state and you reside

If you inherit money from someone in one state and you reside in another, do you pay inheritance tax twice or once?

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and I will be the expert that will be assisting you tonight.

Here inheritance taxes are applied only if the state where the person that deceased resided in has a state inheritance tax. Currently these are the states that have state inheritance taxes..

You would only have to pay tax here once to the state where the deceased person resided.You do not have to pay tax again in a state of residence.

Reference..

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/state-inheritance-taxes.html

I appreciate the chance to assist you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Michele,thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Ray" .

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.