Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws

If a prisoner in Massachusetts inherits money , can it be put

If a prisoner in Massachusetts inherits money , can it be put into a trust so that it is protected from the DOC and other prisoners?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Does the prisoner owe any restitution as part of his sentence?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No he does not.

Thank you for your response.

If the inmate does not owe any restitution as part of his sentence, then any inheritance he receives can be placed into a trust for the inmate and a trustee appointed to oversee his trust for his protection. The trust can be made an irrevocable trust to protect him from any creditors trying to get to the trust for payment of any debts.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.