RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law

As seniors in a twelve year second marriage, with a pre-nup

As seniors in a twelve year second marriage, with a pre-nup and separate finances, I believe I am still responsible for my wife's medical expenses, in the long run. She is in early stage Alzheimer. Subject to approval of both our families, would a legal separation protect me from her medical expenses - and visa versa.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert assisting you tonight.

You have my sympathy here for your situation and dilemma.A legal separation and property and debt division that this process entails would be a means here for effective estate planning where one spouse is going to have extensive medical bills and Medicaid may come into play.

You will need a local lawyer to file for such a legal separation and the court may appoint an ad litem for the spouse if she has alzheimer's issues..The property and debts would be divided by the court using the prenup.agreement and grant the legal separation.This is an effective means of dealing with this situation.

This would allow the spouse from being responsible for the other spouse's medical costs here once legally separated.

It also has some advantages in the parties remain legally married but the assets and debts are separated by a legal separation here through the courts.

The NAELA here, National Academy of Elder Lawyers all have specialized legal training in these type situations which involve, estate planning, Medicaid, and family law.

Here is a list of NAELA lawyers in Indiana that can help you here with this situation.

I appreciate the chance to assist you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Some more information about the process.

Thanks again for the chance to help you tonight.
Bob,thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Ray" .

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.