Nate, Attorney
Experience:  Over 10 years of legal estate experience.

My husband passed away in February of this year. We brought

My husband passed away in February of this year. We brought the will to surrogate court in Bergen County N.J. that month .There was no assets. We were told his estate was closed.Now a so called friend has filed a claim against my late husband's estate demanding 4,000 dollars.I was advised by my attorney that he has no case and he can not do anything.But being a widow and on a very limited income and I want to make sure he can not bother me.My property has a mortgage as well.
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

If the estate was open and there were no assets, there is nothing to collect against. You are not liable for your husband's debts unless you co-signed on them. It sounds like this was solely one of your husband's debts.

Even if this person gets a claim against the estate, the estate is defunct. And that claim does not extend to you.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.