Nate, Attorney
Experience:  Over 10 years of legal estate experience.

My boyfriend and I are both on the mortgage for our home.

My boyfriend and I are both on the mortgage for our home. He is currently in hospice and has a very short time to live. His parents are in charge of his affairs and I am not sure if there is a will or not. Is there anything that I need to do to protect myself in our home? Can I be held responsible for his medical bills or can they be attached to this home (we are currently upside down on the mortgage)

Thank you,
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

Since you are not married, there is no issue of community property (and community debt). If you never signed anything saying you agreed to be liable for his debts, then you will not be responsible for them.

As you are both on the property, the property cannot be touched for the debts as his interest will disappear upon his death.

That said, if he himself has any other assets, the creditors would be entitled to them before anyone else would be. In this case, since you are not married, things are much less complicated in Washington.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.