GeorgetownLawyr
GeorgetownLawyr, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in Probate matters, including will contests and civil litgation related to estates.

I want to arrange a transfer of money to someone I dont trust.

I want to arrange a transfer of money to someone I don't trust. This person doesn't trust me either. I want the money held in escrow until they do something I want them to do, and then I want the lawyer to release it to them.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you. If there is a delay in my reply, I am helping others but WILL reply to you asap. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks for the facts, do you have a question based on this?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No. I have no question and will wait.

ok
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

What more information do you need?

... I asked if you had a question you wanted me to answer and you said "no"....you stated you want to transfer money, etc. but you never asked a question...we are here to answer your questions, so I need to know what is your question??
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Is there a way for me to accomplish wait I want to do?

ok, thanks. Yes. You can draw up an agreement between you and this person that states the terms you just told me. That you will transfer x amount to be held in escrow by x attorney until the other party does x, upon completion of x, you will authorize the release of the funds from attorney x to the party. you both can sign, date it and have it notarized. If either party fails to live up to their end of the deal, it will be a breach of contract and enforceable in court unless you are contracting to do something against the law. In that case there is no way to enforce such a contract, also if the person is a minor you cannot enforce the contract, or if the person is incapacitated. I would also get the attorney to sign an agreement with you that he/she is holding the funds in escrow for you and agrees to immediately release it to the other party upon your authorization. I hope this helps clarify.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law or whether you dislike the answer) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. If you feel I have not earned a positive rating, please give me a chance to do so. Keep in mind even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. We are not paid a salary here and positive ratings encourage experts to answer future questions. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just make sure you type: To Georgetown Lawyer on the subject line. Thank you!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

To provide more specific information... I had consensual sex with a woman who now claims I got her pregnant. She wants me to pay her $3,700 for the abortion, and for her discomfort. I feel badly that I may have gotten her pregnant, and want to pay, but she's also very sick, and angry, and not making much sense. I don't know whether she's actually pregnant or not. I offered to go to the abortion clinic with her, and pay for the abortion then, and she got real upset. She's threatening to carry the baby to term.

sounds like a scam if you ask me. I cannot tell you whether a court would enforce such a contract if she doesn't go through with the abortion because there would be no remedy the court could give you. If she didn't go through with it, the lawyer gives you your money back and you potentially have a child that you will have to pay child support for. Trying to contract in a situation like this is almost impossible because you cannot force her to not have the baby, once the baby is born and she has breached the contract. So if you are able to find a lawyer who would even involve themselves in holding money in this situation, all you can do is hope she provides you proof of termination of the pregnancy to release the funds to her...otherwise, there is nothing else you could do. If I were you I would stick to your guns and insist you go with her and you would pay then. The choice is yours. Thanks and best regards.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes. I understand that it's entirely her choice, and accept that.
Her morning sickness sounds very convincing on the phone, but what do I know? I was thinking about trying to prepay the abortion clinic, but she won't even give me the clinic name. I asked her to go to Planned Parenthood, and she refused. If I give the clinic $700, then I could leave $3,000 with the lawyer. Any guess as to how much a lawyer might charge for this?

She'd probably never agree to it.

You have confirmed my thinking on the matter.

Thanks so much for your answer.

Hey John, no idea how much a lawyer would charge and cannot even imagine a lawyer being involved in this situation. I would also call whatever clinic she is claiming she will use and verify the amount they charge. I personally believe she is bluffing because if she doesn't want to have the baby, she would just allow you to pay the clinic directly...you do not owe her for any pain or anything as you both participated and she could have prevented it, if she wanted. I hope you have also asked for a pregnancy test result by a medical professional.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne is she cannot be forced to agree to this arrangement and at the end of the day you will have to use your best judgment. Feel free to contact local attorneys to see if they will hold the funds for you and the fee for their services. I hope this helps clarify. Thanks in advance for a positive rating so that I may receive credit for my time and answers. A positive rating motivates the experts to answer future questions and I am happy to answer follow up on this issue after a rating at no extra charge. Thanks again and kind regards.
GeorgetownLawyr, Attorney
Experience: Experience in Probate matters, including will contests and civil litgation related to estates.