Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
18215332

My step sisters husband just committed suicide one week ago.

My step sister's husband just committed suicide one week ago. She has since discovered, yesterday, that he changed his IRA and work insurance beneficiaries the day before he died to an ex wife she has never met. He was severely bi polar and had been telling her he had not long to live. She lives in California and is not a native English speaker having been born in Vietnam. She needs help. Is this legal? Does she have any legal protection as his wife? does she need a lawyer?

It is possible that the changes of beneficiary immediately before his death by suicide are not enforceable if the changes were not in fact accepted and registered by the companies prior to his death. She does need a CA lawyer to investigate and research the law on this NOW.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.