Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.

I am the only person listed on the deed to my home. I would

I am the only person listed on the deed to my home. I would like to leave my home to my sister. If she is listed in the will as the recipient of the house, does the home have to go through probate?
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you!

Could you provide me a bit more information? Are you married? If so, did you purchase this home during your marriage? Or, did you receive it by gift or inheritance? What is the value of the home? What is the value of your entire estate? Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

am not maried and have never been married. I purchased the home in March, 2012. The home is valued at $118,000. My entire estate, less my home is approximately $400,000.

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Unfortunately, given your facts...i.e., the value of your estate, your will would need to be admitted to probate so that the probate court could officially validate that your will is legally valid and so that the court could officially approve the appointment of the person named as your executor in your will. That executor would then sign a quit claim deed in their capacity as executor transferring the property to your sister. The deed would need to be witnessed and notarized, and then recorded in the real property records of the city/county in which the property is located. To avoid probate, you could transfer an interest in the home to your sister while you are alive as a joint tenant with right of survivorship. If you did that, then upon your death, title would vest automatically in your sister as your survivor and would not require probate.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I truly appreciate you taking the time to do that!
Thank you also for the bonus! I appreciate your kindness!