GeorgetownLawyr
GeorgetownLawyr, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in Probate matters, including will contests and civil litgation related to estates.

In the state of Virginia if a house that was left to someone

In the state of Virginia if a house that was left to someone in a will had to be sold to pay for the nursing home of the person that owned the house, and the owner died before all of the money was used, does the original beneficiary get the remainder of the money?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you. If there is a delay in my reply, I am helping others but WILL reply to you asap. Thanks for your patience.

When the house was sold, where was the money deposited?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have to find out. I do know that her nephew is the Power Of Attorney and the court has appointed a lawyer who has to be advised of everything.

ok, thanks. If the house was sold before the person died then the proceeds would not go to the person named in the will to receive the house. Where ever the proceeds of the house went (an account I assume) whoever the beneficiary of that account is, would receive the proceeds that remain from the sale of the house unless the will specifically allowed for this scenario. I hope this helps clarify.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law or whether you dislike the answer) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. If you feel I have not earned a positive rating, please give me a chance to do so. Keep in mind even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. We are not paid a salary here and positive ratings encourage experts to answer future questions. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just make sure you type: To Georgetown Lawyer on the subject line. Thank you!
GeorgetownLawyr, Attorney
Experience: Experience in Probate matters, including will contests and civil litgation related to estates.