GeorgetownLawyr
GeorgetownLawyr, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in Probate matters, including will contests and civil litgation related to estates.
46665915

How do I find out which probate court the will was filed in

How do I find out which probate court the will was filed in and can I have it sent to me in another state?
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for you to ask any additional questions you may have if you feel the question has not been answered. Also, IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger, I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Which county did the person pass away in?
Are you a beneficiary under the will or interested party (heir)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He passed away in a car accident in Arizona but he resided in Los Angeles County. I am a beneficiary under the will.

Ok, sorry to hear about the accident. The will should be probated in the county in L.A. that he resided in. If he owned property elsewhere they would have to do an ancillary estate administration in that county where the property lies. You can contact the clerk of the probate court for the county in L.A. that he resided in and find out if the will is probated there.

There is no central database that you can search to see where anyone has probated a will. It is a matter of being notified. If a will is probated you should have been sent a copy of the petition as a beneficiary under the will, so you shouldn't have to be trying to find out where it was probated unless someone is playing foul and trying to exclude you. The clerk of the probate court can tell you what is their procedure t provide copies, but you may have to go in person. Each court has its own rules, so you will need to check with them. I hope this helps clarify.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law or whether you dislike the answer) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. If you feel I have not earned a positive rating, please give me a chance to do so. Keep in mind even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. We are not paid a salary here and positive ratings encourage experts to answer future questions. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just make sure you type: To Georgetown Lawyer on the subject line. Thank you!