Nate, Attorney
Experience:  Over 10 years of legal estate experience.

I have a small check written to the estate of my mother. I

I have a small check written to the estate of my mother. I need to open an estate account to deposit the check. What are the required documents needed from the courts to open an account? Can I do this myself?
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

Is the estate currently open? and

How large (in value) is the estate?

Let me know the above and I will get right back with you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The estate is not currently open. The value is $2600.00. That is the amount of the check. There are no other assets.
There is a simplified process you can use, then. The self help center at your local courthouse will have an affidavit you can complete and notarize which will allow you to transfer the check into your name.

Information about the simplified process is here

Once you complete the affidavit and follow the instructions at the link above you will be able to deposit or cash the check.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.