RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law

If property is left to someone but had to be sold before the

If property is left to someone but had to be sold before the owner died, is that person entitled to anything if it was never removed from the will?

Hi and welcome to Just Answer.My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be the expert assisting you tonight.

Unfortunately this is considered a contingent bequest under Virgina probate lawand if the property is sold or deeded away prior to death then the bequest is void.It is the same if there was say a cash bequest but no funds remain in the estate so the bequest is void and cannot be fulfilled here.I wish I could tell you otherwise.

The condition of the will is that the deceased still owns the property at time of death so that it passes to you through the estate.Here since it was transferred while the person was alive the bequest becomes void.I am sorry and I wish I had better news here but I know that you want honest information.

I appreciate the chance to assist you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again for letting me help you tonight.