RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 29 years in Estate law
8534270

Sister received Aetna Affidavit of sole survivors for father

Sister received Aetna Affidavit of sole survivors for father who passed in 1998, regarding life insurance. What does this mean? She sent form, now what?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer.I am Ray and I will be the expert assisting you today.It appears that Aetna has unpaid life insurance or other benefits that have not been paid.By completing the affidavit it is possible they will pay sister any unpaid benefits that they are holding.

Here is the affidavit you reference. Hopefully there are benefits and Aetna would pay these to the survivor or survivors named on the affidavit.This serves as an affidavit stating that the persons named on it are the only survivor or surivors of the deceased.It allows them to pay without further probate on your part.

Likely the problem was that the father did not designate a beneficiary

and they are trying to assist her in payment of benefits.

Affidavit of Sole Survivors Form - Aetna

Hopefully they will pay whatever benefits her father had with Aetna since you properly submitted the affidavit.You should be hearing from them relatively quickly.

I appreciate the chance to assist you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience: Texas lawyer for 29 years in Estate law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She faxed form, I was told that replaces original is that correct or should she also mail.?
I would also mail the original here as well to them.I woudl send it certifed mail so you can show proof of service.This could have been group life insurance or other benefits your father had through an employer.But they should repsond and pay yherse pretty quickly.I am sure they woujld like to close this out as soon as they can.These benefits woudl not be taxable either.

Thanks for letting me help you today.I hope you get these pretty quick.
RayAnswers, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will there be interest on unpaid benefits since time of death?
I do not think there will be interest here if this is regular life insurance.The Aetna people would have paid if there was a named benficiary the hold up was probably that father did not name one and they are required to hold benefits until somebody comes forward.And insurance companies are regulated by the states here so expect these relatively quickly hopefully within 30 days or less.

Thanks for the rating.I wish you the best.
RayAnswers, Attorney
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Ray" .

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.
RayAnswers, Attorney