Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
7286322

I was adopted by my stepfather as my mother was concerned about

I was adopted by my stepfather as my mother was concerned about monies coming from a business which is now defunct & all parties are deceased. I want my biological father's name back..what do I do?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Can you please tell me:

1) Was your name changed when you were adopted?
2) How old are you now?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes, I was given my stepfather's last name...

I am 75....certain problems have come up and I would like my biological father's name back.

Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
Thank you.

Someone in your situation can file in Court for a name change. The family court deals with name changes. The name change can be to ANYTHING that one wishes, and if should happen to match your biological father's name, then this is your prerogative.

In other words, you can file for a name change AS IS without having a reason and can choose the name of your father.

This is done by filing a PETITION FOR CHANGE OF NAME with the Courts. You can find the petition here.

This is filed with the Circuit Court of your county. An attorney is recommended but not mandatory.

Please let me know if you need instructions on HOW to file (if so, what county), or, how to find an attorney (possibly pro bono/low cost).

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Would the same documents me found here in Illinois<

Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
Kathleen,

My apologies! For some reason I thought this was in FL.

The SAME applies in Illinois, except the petition is different. See here for a step by step instruction on how to file a name change in Circuit Court in Illinois and the petitions.

So the same applies, except the steps and the form is different.

Again, please accept my apologies for the misunderstanding.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you so much, you are wonderful....

Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
You are very welcome and again my apologies. Good luck, and please don't forget to rate my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please REPLY to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your gratuity.