RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law

I have another question regarding my Mother who passed away.

I have another question regarding my Mother who passed away. She had a retirement plan and 2 insurance policies that I have already cashed in, she has stocks in a couple of companies that I would like to get transferred to me. She didn't have a will but I am her beneficiary. Would I need to mention those things in the small state affidavit?
Good evening and welcome back.I appreciate your question and will be happy to assist you.

You would if you want to be able to transfer the stocks here and if the retirement plan does not name you as a beneficiary..And you may want to check with the companies involved to see if they will accept the affidavit to transfer the stock.Usually the death certificate and the affidavit will suffice to get this into your name.

Anything here that has you as a named beneficiary such as retirement or life insurance, etc passes directly to you outside of probate.It is only those assets with no named beneficiary or where the estate is named beneficiary that would pass through probate.

So you may want to check with the institutions where the assets are here to see if they have named beneficiaries to see if you need to include them on the affidavit.

Thanks for the chance to help again.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.