J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in estate planning including wills, trusts and succession planning.
64316804

When I die what happens to my large outstanding tax liabilities

When I die what happens to my large outstanding tax liabilities from prior years? Is a family member required to handle my estate or can the state just do it?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping and providing you information today.

A person named in your will as the personal representative has the opportunity to administer your estate. However, any named person may decline the appointment. Any creditor of the estate may request to be named the administrator. This would include state or federal department of revenue.

If there is no will, a beneficiary or creditor may petition to be the personal representative and administer the estate. Unless the state is a creditor it will not probate the estate.

All my best & encouragement.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. If for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns.

All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have no will at this time and I owe federal and state taxes so it sounds like one of them will handle the estate. I just want to outline in my will that I don't want my family getting involved in my estate because of the headaches involved with everything.

If the federal or state authorities take over the estate do they simply sell off the assets to pay the taxes that are due? If so then the sale of everything I owe would barely cover half of the combined state and federal liabilities.

The tax authorities would sell off the assets. To the extent there is not enough the estate would be considered insolvent and the creditors would take a percentage of what is owed. Family members are not personally liable for the taxes.

All my best & encouragement.

Please remember to rate my answer so that I can get credit for assisting you today. If for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns.