John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.

My Aunt lives in Portland Indiana and just lost her Friend

My Aunt lives in Portland Indiana and just lost her Friend of over 40 yr. they bought a house together and have other things as well.. Now that he has passed his nephew and niece put their selves a power of attorney for her against her will.. She gets the house in survivorship on the deed. She also has a bank acct. that the nephew of {Tom deceased } has put his name on this acct.this acct. is in her name only because it's her money and she wants him off.. He has a boug power of attorney paper she said she never signed and now he is doing things that are really not what she wants.. She said they have a layer and she wants her own to represent her.. Please help her...
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Your aunt would have signed the power of attorney if her nephew has a POA. She may not remember it but she must have signed one. If she is legally competent she can revoke the POA and change the accounts any time she wants. I would highly suggest she speak with an elder law attorney in her area as soon as possible. You can find one here.