Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate

My mother has been in an assisted living home for 3years this

My mother has been in an assisted living home for 3years this Dec. Her actual money will run out about next July. She had $167,000 in assets and I have been paying her bills out of that. Will I then be responsible for her care. She lives in Indiana.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
In a situation where a person has spent down their own assets paying for their care to a level below $2,000, then Medicaid will typically kick in to start paying for their long term care. Medicaid does not count someone's home as a "countable asset" when determining eligibility, although they can file a lien against the person's house that is only repaid after their death. But if she doesn't have a house, then Medicaid should kick in to pay any care costs after her assets reach that $2000 level.
But no, you would not be personally held liable for payment unless you signed a personal guarantor agreement when mother was initially admitted for care. They often try to get a family member to sign one so they have someone on the hook for payment if the patient runs out of money and didn't apply for Medicaid.

Thanks so much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is very much appreciated!

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me if you need help with anything in the future and I will do everything I can to help or get you to someone who can.