Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  Part of the 'Save the Dream

My mother has alzheimers. At the beginning of her illness,

My mother has alzheimers. At the beginning of her illness, she and I went to a lawyer, got powers of attorney, etc. she then put all of her money into a joint account with me. I have taken care of her now three years, but I have had some bills come up and used some of the money that she initially put into the accounts to extinguish them. While I am intent to repay some of the money, I am afraid she. May not live long enough for me to repay the rest. If she dies before I repay the entire sum, am I legally liable to repay this to her estate when she dies since it is in a joint account?

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

If you are an account list as the joint owner of the account then you have full access to the funds. You do not have to repay the estate, but you can decide to do so. You have the ability to take all the funds currently in the account for your use. I am not advocating you do so, but as a joint owner you have full rights to the funds in the account.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).