socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Hiring employees (nurses) - No Sue Waver

Customer Question

I've been hiring employees (nurses) to care for my spouse in our home for 18+ years. I'm in Florida - State law says I don't need Workers Compensation unless you have 4 or more employees - I have 2, never need more than 3. Tried to get WC anyway, many times - No company will ins us, to high risk with little return.. Same goes for trying to obtain Liability Insurance. I aleady have employes sign a waiver for WC just so they know I'm within the law by not providing it - this way I don't need to post it.. My question is: Can I get a waiver, covenant or contract created "basically stating can not sue" agreement and have new and existing employees sign it? Maybe yearly? Is this legal and binding? Thank you, BobK

Category: Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 9 months ago.

There is no law that prohibits you from obtaining an advance release from liability by a prospective employee. The problem is that if the employee sues, regardless of the agreement, there is a good chance that a court may not enforce the release.

The reason for this is that employers are generally considered to have overwhelmingly greater bargaining power in the terms and conditions of hiring. Consequently, the court could determine that the release is legally "unconscionable" (shockingly unfair), especially, if the employer is the actual cause of the employee's injuries.

The safer bet would be to lease your employees from a staffing agency, where the employee is not your employees but rather the staffing agency's employee. The additional cost would not be much greater than the cost of the insurance that you are having difficulty procuring.

In any event, to obtain a valid release, you would need to pay separate consideration to the prospective employee. Otherwise, it could be argued that you didn't actually contract for the release, but rather simply imposed it without offering anything in return, since you would be paying wages for the employee's actual labor. Example:

• In consideration for payment of the sum of [amount], [employee name] ("Employee") hereby agrees to waive any right to sue for injuries sustained within the scope of Employee's employment by [employer name] ("Employer") as a [job description]. Employer and Employee further agree that the consideration paid herein, is separate and apart from any wages payable to Employee by Employer, and that Employee has no obligation to labor for Employer, and Employer has no obligation to employee Employee as the result of this waiver agreement.

• Date: [date]
  • By: __________ (Employer)
  • [printed name, address, phone]
  • By: __________ (Employee)
  • [printed name, address, phone]

Please let me know if my answer is helpful, or if I can provide further clarification or assistance.

And, thanks for using justanswer.com!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Your answer about a court of law stating the waiver agreement is unfair was kind of what I expected.

As far as a staffing agency or nursing agency would be out of the question. They are terrible in our are location and hiring on our own solved all our problems of obtaining good nursing care. And present employees have been with us 9 & 4 years, so I wouldn't want to lose them.

Like I said, we already have waivers in place but they are not worded "in consideration for payment"

So if I changed the current wording for current employees and request they sign, what you typed reads like your saying I'd need to give them a substantial raise (as they are making 1-1/2 X nurses get paid through an agency as it is).

I don't know why this is bothering me after 18 years, I think it's just the fact every ins co has turned us down...

Would the waiver hold more weight if we added either party "employer and employee" waives the right to sue each other?

A: You can't give the employee a raise, as consideration for the waiver. That would be future consideration, for labor not yet performed -- not in exchange for the waiver. You would have to actually pay the employee a nontrivial amount of money in a lump sum (e.g., $500). And, the employee would have to accept the amount offered and sign the waiver.

I don't know why this is bothering me after 18 years, I think it's just the fact every ins co has turned us down.

A: I understand. I don't have a good answer for this one. It seems a bit ridiculous that no one wants to insure -- but it is what it is.

A: No (not in my opinion, anyway) -- because you have the far greater bargaining power. You're not really giving anything of value to the employee, by your agreement to not sue the employee.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

All ins co say basically the same thing..

With 2-3 employees their premium would never cover an injury or attorney if needed --

And insuring against Home nurses is considered high risk --

Thank you for your help, gives me something to think about,

BobK

You're welcome and good luck!