How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 109905
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

in 2004, I purchased a house with my personal funds. I let

This answer was rated:

in 2004, I purchased a house with my personal funds. I let an elderly lady live there because her landlord had sold her rented house out from underneath her. In 2008, I suggested a marriage of convenience (I am 100% VA disabled) so she might be able to obtain a benefit. at that point, I was very ill, but she coerced me into putting her name on the property deed. All improvements, upgrades, fees and taxes have been paid by me since then. My health has improved greatly due to the efforts of the VA and I no longer wish to live in Missouri. She, however, has threatened to "clean me out" if I divorce her and move away. She says she will get the house, vehicles, VA pension, Social Security, IRA, money fund, $1500/month cash and my personal effects. What can I do to get away from this gold-digger? Please help a wounded warrior decorated in Bosnia and still trying to heal. Matthew xxxxx [Maj-medical Ret]

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am sorry to hear that she convinced you into putting her name on the deed, this is what is going to hurt you in this case. Once you put her name on the deed, it is considered to be joint property and you gifted her the share of the house even though it would have been your separate property if you never put her name on it even though you were married. There is only one possibility here and that is to prove the marriage was a fraud and that she defrauded you into marriage and out of the property and you are going to need to provide evidence specifically of the fraud itself.

I am afraid that if you cannot get out of the house this is a problem too because it sounds like you have a bad problem here and you are going to have to at least contact a local attorney by email on one of the same sites used by other attorneys to get representation and try to get an order of protection against her for fear for your safety and those sites are or or

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Thank you for your response and feedback. I am sorry but I have no way of knowing what more information you require unless you tell me, but unfortunately while you may choose to blame me for your actions in putting her on your deed or the way the laws are written, I can change neither of those nor am I to blame for them.

If you have additional information you want, please ask and I am willing to provide that information, but based on what you have said above the law was given to you as it stands in MO and that law I cannot change, but if you have more facts to add that may change things we can discuss. As far as options, you do have a legal option here, but when you signed up for this site you read and agreed that we could not represent you, so if you are upset because we cannot represent you I apologize for your misunderstanding our site terms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You still did not address whether the property could be put into an irrevocable trust held by someone else or some other option, whether she is legally able to take my VA benefits and social security benefits for the rest of my life and my personal IRA by utilizing a lawyer just because I have moved without divorce.

Thank you for your response.

The only way it could be put in irrevocable trust is if she signs off and agrees to moving it.

She CANNOT take your SS benefits, she can get a spousal benefit only if she has been married to you for 10 years minimum. Also, she cannot take your VA disability benefits those are protected by law.

As far as your IRA, she would be entitled only to a marital portion of that IF money was put into it during the course of your marriage. If no marital funds were put into it during your marriage, then she would not be entitled to it because it is your separate property. Furthermore, if only a small amount of marital funds were put into it then this means she could only get a small percentage based on the number of years you were married and putting funds into the IRA.

She right now could claim a marital share of the house, because you put her name on it and possibly cars if you either put her name on them or if they were purchased during the marriage.

She is entitled to a marital share, which is based on length of marriage, of anything that was acquired during the marriage or that you put her name on.

So her telling you she will take everything is a lie and she is misinformed.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 109905
Experience: Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Law Educator, Esq. and 9 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • My husband has been driving me insane with questions regarding estate issues since his mother died. I'm not a lawyer! Thanks to JustAnswer, I was able to calm his concerns. Loretta T Illinois
< Previous | Next >
  • My husband has been driving me insane with questions regarding estate issues since his mother died. I'm not a lawyer! Thanks to JustAnswer, I was able to calm his concerns. Loretta T Illinois
  • Thanks Adam!! - A very direct and understandable response - you have been a great help! Happy Customer Ellicott City, MD
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas McJD

    Thomas McJD


    Satisfied Customers:

    Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas McJD's Avatar

    Thomas McJD


    Satisfied Customers:

    Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
  • RayAnswers's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Texas lawyer for 29 years in Estate law
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • Dimitry Esquire's Avatar

    Dimitry Esquire


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration