RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 29 years in Estate law
8534270

my husband died last oct we were married almost 30 years. we

my husband died last oct we were married almost 30 years. we never had the house put in my name. no previous marrages no children from other relationships. we have 2 children together. I need to get the house in my name. what all does this entail. what info do I need. how long does this process take. How much does it cost
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray licensed lawyer who will be assisting you today.I am so sorry for your loss of loved one.

Here you will need a local probate lawyer to make application for probate and to be named personal representative of the estate.If there is a will it is admitted here, if no will the assets pass under the laws fo intestacy.Here his estate consistes of his half of marital property and his separate property.

You have a half marital interest in the property here even if your name is XXXXX XXXXX the deed.If you are named personal representative and there is no will the cout supervises all of the administration process.Expect this to take about a year or so and you can get a fee quote using the lawyer referral below.

It is likely going to cost say $3-$4k in lawyer fees anf filing fees when it is all said and done.

Here are the Ohio laws of intestacy for your reference if there was no will.You would inherit all of the estate.

If you die with:here’s what happens:
  • children but no spouse
  • children inherit everything
  • spouse but no descendants or parents
  • spouse inherits everything
  • spouse and descendants from you and that spouse
  • spouse inherits everything
  • spouse and one child (or descendants of that child) from you and someone other than that spouse
  • spouse inherits the first $20,000 of your intestate property, plus 1/2 of the balance
  • your descendants inherit everything else
  • spouse and more than one one child or descendants of those children
  • if the spouse is the natural or adoptive parent of at least one child, the spouse inherits the first $60,000 of your intestate property, plus 1/3 of the balance
  • if the spouse is not the natural or adoptive parent any of the children, the spouse inherits the first $20,000 of your intestate property, plus 1/3 of the balance
  • descendants inherit everything else

Thanks again for the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.

RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience: Texas lawyer for 29 years in Estate law