P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.
11181181

Ihave a tralor park host that is spreading harmful comments

Ihave a tralor park host that is spreading harmful comments about me and my wife. What can I do to stop it?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, are the statements about you and about claimed facts? That is, the host is claiming something about you to be a fact but it is a lie?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your prompt response. This all started the second day we moved into this trailor rentle. We were still unloading our belongings and had a barrel of electrical and gas operated tools on the front lawn and at night the park host turned on a water sprinkler which overnight filled the barrel ruing some of th equipment and we hadn't finshed moving in. When i asked the host about it he said it wasn't his problem and he wasn't responsible for tennents belongings. When I complained to property management they said they would talk to the hosts. Their answer back to me was the host denied doing anything. That was lie number one.

Another that is spreading around is that we, me and my wife are constantly argueing with the neibors and are hard to get along with. nothing could be farther from the truth. We get along very well with our neibors and they are willing to testify to that.

These are just two examples of the hosts harrassment of me and my wife and I want it to stop. The property mangement refuse or won't do anything about it. Their statement to me is " They are our host they control what goes on in the trailor park."

Thank you sir

If they are lying about you...that is, if they are spreading lies about you and the lies are harming your reputation? That is called defamation and can be the grounds for a civil lawsuit

Defamation is defined as a false statement communicated to another person that damages your reputation by exposing you to hatred, contempt, or ridicule from other people.

The key is that the statements must

1. Be false and not an opinion. So if they are saying "I do not like them" or "I think they are weird"? Not much you can do legally about that...everyone is entitled to express their opinion.

But if they say, for example, that they hear you arguing with your wife constantly? And that is a lie? That would meet the requirement for defamation

2. Must harm your reputation. You have to prove how this has harmed you. For example, if you run a business and this harms your business? THen you can sue them for the losses you suffer.

What you describe sure sounds like defamation.

Consider having a local attorney send them a "demand letter"

This is a letter, on the attorney's letterhead, demanding they stop this defamation and promising suit if they do not comply. Many attorneys will draft one for a nominal fee (typically 1 hour billing rate or less). It may be this scares them into stopping this defamation. You can also send the letter to the property management...if they understand they may be sued due to this defamation (and they can, if they condone it) they may think about keeping the host employed.

Please let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can

P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience: 12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.