How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 36100
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After my spouses divorce, in 1965 or 66 she was awarded the

This answer was rated:

After my spouses divorce, in 1965 or 66 she was awarded the house. We were married in 1967. In 1995 we purchased a living trust from the Alliance for Mature Americans. We had five properties to transfer into the trust. I recently discovered only four of the properties were transferred by the Alliance and our residence was not. All of these years the house has been in my spouses and her ex husbands name. My wife passed away 12/24/2012 and I recently applied for a loan and found out residence was never transferred. Can you tell me what I need to do? Richard

Hi and welcome to JA.I am Ray a licensed lawyer and will be assisting you today.

Here you would need to make application for probate and seek to be named personal representative.As pr you are going to have to have the estate lawyer try to get the husband here to quitclaim it to you or the estate has to file a suit to quiet title regarding his share.There is not a time limit to file for probate here in California.

If you are named the legal heir the pr then deeds wife's share of the property to you if you are the legal heir.But you would have to account for husband's share either by quitclaim or by filing a suit to quiet title.Once you have that passed into the estate then it also would be deeded to the legal heir.

You are going to need a local California probate lawyer to make application for probate and resolve the husband's share of property as well either by deed or by suit here.

I appreciate the chance to assist you today.It has been my pleasure to do so.
Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

You can locate a probate lawyer through our California bar lawyer referral.


If she did not have a will the house which is her separate property passes under the laws of intestacy( no will). Here they are for reference.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The husband passed away several years ago. My wife was awarded the house in the divorce and she has a will in our living trust naming me as her beneficiary. I don't have a copy of the divorce but I'm sure it can be found in the hall of records. Can you tell me what I can expect to pay for this service (ballpark) and how long it should take? Thank You Richard

Lot of variables here guessing in the $4-$5k range..Here once the will is filed in
Superior Court(probate court)then the lawyer for estate either gets him to sign quit claim deed or you have to file suit to quiet title and court awards the estate legal title. a quitclaim is cheap but a suit to quiet title might run another $5k here.Thats the big variable.Hopefully lawyer can locate him and force him to sign quitclaim to the estate here.

And honestly I see this taking at least a year from start to finish again depending on how hard it is to deal and resolve the ex's share.


Thanks so much for the chance to help you.I know that this was a real surprise to you and not in a good way.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ray, the ex husband is deceased. He had no claim to the property after the divorce.Richard

Then if he had an estate opened the PR for his estate can sign a quit claim otherwise a suit to quiet title.You have the facts here to win a suit to quiet title.It is just a shame that your wife did not follow up on this while he was alive it will take more time and legal work to resolve it.But it is resolvable do not get discouraged.A good probate lawyer can resolve all of this.


This is exactly why to suit to quiet title laws exist to award the estate clear title to his share.

Thanks for the follow up.Good luck here with all.

Here is a sample of what a quiet title suit looks like..


How it works here in California.


Thanks for letting me help you today.

RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 36100
Experience: Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
RayAnswers and 7 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Ray" .

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • My husband has been driving me insane with questions regarding estate issues since his mother died. I'm not a lawyer! Thanks to JustAnswer, I was able to calm his concerns. Loretta T Illinois
< Previous | Next >
  • My husband has been driving me insane with questions regarding estate issues since his mother died. I'm not a lawyer! Thanks to JustAnswer, I was able to calm his concerns. Loretta T Illinois
  • Thanks Adam!! - A very direct and understandable response - you have been a great help! Happy Customer Ellicott City, MD
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas McJD

    Thomas McJD


    Satisfied Customers:

    Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas McJD's Avatar

    Thomas McJD


    Satisfied Customers:

    Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
  • RayAnswers's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Texas lawyer for 29 years in Estate law
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • Dimitry Esquire's Avatar

    Dimitry Esquire


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration