Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

I live in Oklahoma and my mom passed this year. She was married

I live in Oklahoma and my mom passed this year. She was married and my stepdad has all of her information. She has mineral rights from her side of the family that is now in probate. He filed to be rep of the estate in Sept and his atty said that I would get 50%, but that is the only thing I have been told about it. Is there anything that I need to do? I feel like I have been left out and my stepdad won't tell me anything. Discharge is Oct 9. Thank you for your help. SLS
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Thomas McJD replied 9 months ago.

Thomas McJD :

Hi, I'm Thomas and will be happy to assist you. My goal is to make you a very satisfied customer! Thanks in advance for your patience.

Thomas McJD :

I'm sorry to hear of your mother's passing and your frustration with the probate process and not being kept in the loop. What county is the probate taking place in?

Customer:

Oklahoma county

Thomas McJD :

Okay. Thanks. That is great for you because Oklahoma County probate records are available online for free at www.oscn.net

Thomas McJD :

You can find everything you need to know about the probate on that website.

Thomas McJD :

Generally, you would not need to do anything to receive your 50%. However, you should have been receiving periodic notices of hearings (when there was a hearing appointing him as executor), anytime an inventory/accounting has been filed, anytime he is asking for distribution of the estate, etc.

Thomas McJD :

Other times, you might not have received notice (such as when notice was given to creditors and any creditors submitted claims to the executor.

Thomas McJD :

You can obtain a copy of the will and other documents at that website. If he filed in Sept., then it is actually likely no hearing has been held yet, but one is likely set and you should have (or will shortly) receive notice.

Customer:

She was lucky enough to not owe anything and I am the only child, so everything is moving quickly. I was just worried that I needed to file for something. Thank you

Thomas McJD :

No, you're okay for now. You can keep updated on the www.oscn.net website and notices that you're entitled to receive. But if you smell something fishy going on, just find a local attorney for some advice or counsel to help you protect your rights. I would be grateful if you could please leave me a positive rating for my assistance. Thanks!

Customer:

No problem

Thomas McJD :

Thank you. Have a great evening!

Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience: Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters