Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
7286322

Our Mother past without a will. There are 12 beneficiaries

Our Mother past without a will. There are 12 beneficiaries we are all in agreement to change the Deed from Mother's name to all of being on the Deed. How do we do this?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your loss. Allow me to explain how probate works and then I will focus specifically on the question itself.

When someone passes away, then their estate has to be distributed. The problem is that without probate - with assets such as titled property or bank accounts - this is hard to do. This is because you cannot switch over the assets without an order from the probate court, and simply a Certificate of Death will not do. A Certificate of Death simply states that someone has passed on, but does not give you the right to really do anything in the deceased's name.

So one files probate. Once probate is filed, the Executor of the estate gets something called a Letter of Testament/Administration (hereinafter "Letter"). This Letter will allow the Executor to switch over the assets from the deceased individual to whoever will own the property. It is like a "Power of Attorney," but from the Court. Without that Letter, there is no way to transfer titled property and switch the assets into beneficiaries' hands.

Now:

1) Have all parties sign off on an agreement in writing that they agree to share the property as equal owners (or whatever the agreement is);

2) Once the letters are received, the Administrator files an Executor's Deed with the Recorder of Deeds in the county where the property is. For a sample copy of it it, see here (warning; immediate download). The deed takes the property out of your mother's name and puts it into the names of the beneficiaries;

3) Along with the executor's deed, the administrator also shows the Recorder of Deeds clerk the Letters that entitle them to file this executor's deed.

4) Once this is done, then the beneficiaries are now on the deed to the property.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
D,

Apologies, please try the link for a sample copy here.
Thank you for your gratuity.