Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
7286322

Does the executor of a will have to provide an accounting of

Does the executor of a will have to provide an accounting of all money spent from the estate monies to those other beneficiaries of the estate?

A younger sister has declared that the estate money is all spent and we can't figure out how she spent it all? If asked to do so, does she have to show us an accounting?

Thank you so much
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation.

Yes.

A final accounting by the executor is done as a matter of due course upon closing of a probated estate. However, at any time prior to the closing, an interest party to the estate (i.e. a beneficiary) may request an "interim" accounting from the executor via writing.

The executor then has to provide said accounting. If the executor refuses and/or the accounting is lacking or is questionable, then the beneficiary may petition the court for a hearing to force the executor to complete the accounting, and if the Judge finds that the executor has been spending money without justifiable purpose or without reasonable care befitting the estate, the executor may very well be removed and another appointed.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Thank you for your gratuity.