Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

My father passed away in Washington State in August. My father

My father passed away in Washington State in August. My father is widowed and I am his only child. In his will he has appointed me as his Personal Representative. My name was on everything with my dad except for the house & he left that to me in his Will.
I have given a copy of the Death Certificate & Dad's Will to the title company & to the
County Assessor's Office. My question is, do I need to go through Probate to change the name on the Deed?

Thank-you
In Washington
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Thomas McJD replied 1 year ago.

TMcJD :

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

TMcJD :

Unfortunately, if any real property is involved, then probate is necessary to change the legal ownership of the property from your father to you. You did note that the home was only in his name but that he left it to you in his will. Thus, you will need to complete probate to place legal title and ownership in your name.

Customer: Does probate need to take place in the County he is from in Washington State?
TMcJD :

Yes, if he was a resident of WA at the time of his death, then probate would be in the county of residence at the time of death.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What do I need to take to the court besides completing the Probate Forms
And what is the time frame after death to complete Probate?
You will need the original will in additional to the various probate forms. It generally takes about 6 months to complete a probate. Although it is something you can try yourself, it is always highly recommended to have a local attorney assist you with the probate process.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it mandatory that we do probate in the county where my father passed away? We are going to his home this week and I was hoping to go to the Courthouse in his County.
What is the time frame to file Probate?
Yes, the statutes state that venue is only appropriate in the county of death if he was a WA resident at the time of death. There is no specific time limit but probate should generally be filed within the first year after death.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where would I find the best and easiest Do it Yourself Probate Forms?
The best forms would be from a probate practice guide for Washington state that you could only find in a local law library. Otherwise, you can ask the local court clerk if they have any probate forms you could use. After that, I wouldn't put too much stock in any forms you can find -- especially on the internet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you please send our communication to my e-mail address.
Please let me know when you have done that and I thank you for your help.

Sorry but I cannot communicate with you via email. But you can certainly copy and paste this information into a word document that you can later refer to.

Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience: Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
If you do not need additional help, I would be grateful if you could please click on one of the smiley faces to leave me a positive rating. I cannot receive credit for my assistance without your rating. Thanks!