How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10685
Experience:  Over 10 years of legal estate experience.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Here we go again with another trust question. My wifes parents

This answer was rated:

Here we go again with another trust question.
My wife's parents setup a 529 educational account for my son.
There is currently around $200K in the account.
Last year my wife and my son and I selected a college on the assumption he would have access to that money....he is now at that college.....
I am currently paying the bills.
We have asked her parents to give him access to the money so he can remain at that college but they have said "No". Yes it is irrational.
I alone cannot afford to keep him there, so he will have to move schools if he doesn't get access to the money.

Can they just decide to keep the money?
Is there anything I can do to persuade them to give him access to the money?

And yes her parents are like 75+ and I suspect they both have alzheimers....because its difficult to undertand why they won't give him access to the money.
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

Outside of the ongoing waffling you've described here and in previous questions, what other evidence is there that they are suffering from Alzheimer's or some other sort of dementia?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They're under a doctor's care for Alzheimer's and are on medication for it......I don't know what type of meds.....its becoming a real we have to pick them up when they get lost.....5 miles from their house.


My son busted his butt to get into that school....and it would break all of our hearts to pull him out.

The way the law views 529 accounts, the beneficiary has no control over access to the funds. If they were of sound mind and chose to deny him the funds, they have that right to do so.

That said, they are not of sound mind and appear unable to adequately manage their affairs.

As there is a medical diagnosis of dementia and their actions show them unable to take care of themselves (leaving the house and getting lost that easily could result in someone get hurt or killed) the best option here is to petition the superior court for a conservatorship over them both.

A conservatorship takes away in its entirety their ability to manage his own affairs and places it in the hands of someone competent to do so. In this situation, you would propose yourself as conservator.

The process is outlined here

That would allow you to decide how the accounts are used, including the 529 they designated for your son's benefit.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As bad as it is my wife would never do that....that would severely damage whatever relationship is left.....but've answered the question.

I'm sorry there isn't anything more workable than that. Perhaps an impassioned plea by their grandson might help. Also, if they do not use it for his education they would suffer tax liability and a 10% penalty on its withdrawal. I'm not sure if that will work to sway them, but it's a fact that may be worth bringing to their attention.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

impassioned plea might work...but he doesn't know of the issue yet...and i don't want to worry or demotivate him.

rational discussion hasn't worked.....

and they don't remember today what was discussed yesterday anyway.


Dealing with Alz is tough......



It is frustrating - I know. I do hope things work out.
Nate, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10685
Experience: Over 10 years of legal estate experience.
Nate and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • My husband has been driving me insane with questions regarding estate issues since his mother died. I'm not a lawyer! Thanks to JustAnswer, I was able to calm his concerns. Loretta T Illinois
< Previous | Next >
  • My husband has been driving me insane with questions regarding estate issues since his mother died. I'm not a lawyer! Thanks to JustAnswer, I was able to calm his concerns. Loretta T Illinois
  • Thanks Adam!! - A very direct and understandable response - you have been a great help! Happy Customer Ellicott City, MD
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas McJD

    Thomas McJD


    Satisfied Customers:

    Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas McJD's Avatar

    Thomas McJD


    Satisfied Customers:

    Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
  • RayAnswers's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Texas lawyer for 29 years in Estate law
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • Dimitry Esquire's Avatar

    Dimitry Esquire


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration