Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

Hi I have an elderly parent who has just begun to receive medicaid.

Hi I have an elderly parent who has just begun to receive medicaid. The problem is that he has a credit card in his name that I am an authorized user on. The credit card was set up in his name but I am the sole user. The credit card has about $10,000 worth of debt that is entirely mine (but remember the credit card is technically in my father's name). If I continue to pay the monthly payments (as I have been doing since around 2006) will this debt affect my father's medicaid eligibility? And if so what can i do about the debt (I can't afford to pay it all off at once).
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
If I continue to pay the monthly payments (as I have been doing since around 2006) will this debt affect my father's medicaid eligibility?
.
No, this would not affect his eligibility at all. Debt does not affect a person's eligibility for Medicaid, only assets do. Since Medicaid is a poverty based program, an applicant is only disqualified from receiving benefits if they have too many assets, not too many debts..
.
.
Thanks