Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

My wifes parents gifted a $5M property to an irrevocable trust

My wifes parents gifted a $5M property to an irrevocable trust last year to take advantage of the estate gift taxes. My wife, myself and our two children are the beneficiaries.
They never gave up possession of the house and are now saying they want to dissolve the trust because they changed their mind.
We already hired a lawyer to do the taxes for last year. (just info)
They are pretty old and tend to change their mind alot.
Can they just dissolve the trust?
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you!

Good evening. Once a gift to an irrevocable trust has been made, it is a completed gift. Your wife's parents cannot unilaterally revoke that gift because the property no longer belongs to them. They cannot take back something they no longer own. Because the trust is irrevocable, it cannot be undone without court approval. And, courts very rarely allow such a revocation, and then only if it's beneficial to all involved parties, including the beneficiaries. So, they have no right to dissolve the trust.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent) so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for your rating! I appreciate that!
Thank you also for your kindness in leaving me such a generous bonus!