LegalGems, Attorney
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor

Can the Human Resources Administration come after an estate

Can the Human Resources Administration come after an estate for Medicaid payments 17 months after the death? The estate has been probated and final accounting written off. This is in New York State.

LegalGems :

Hi; My goal is to provide you with great service - if you have any questions during our chat, please ask! I'll do my best to ensure your satisfaction! No; the state must make a claim within 7 months after a fiduciary (ie executor/personal representative) is appointed. Please see page 10 of the attached: specifically:

Filing th

e claim.

should f

ile its c

within seven months from the date a fiduciary is

first appointed.

If the LD

SS files

its claim after

this seven-month period, the fiduciary will not be

liable if he or she has in good faith paid other

claims or distributed the estate.
LegalGems :

A letter sent to the claims administrator attaching the above should prove helpful.

I wanted to be sure and thank you for using JA/Pearl.

I hope you found the information I provided useful.

If you would like to request me for your future legal inquires, please put TO LEGAL GEMS in front of the question, and I will do my best!
Take care.

Please be sure and complete the customer satisfaction survey the site will be sending you so that I can continue to provide affordable information to our customers. Thank you!