Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

My father passed away on August 20th. He was a resident of

Customer Question

My father passed away on August 20th. He was a resident of NYC. He did not leave a will or have a living trust set up. My mother is also deceased. I am one of 3 sons that has survived my parents passing. My youngest brother has down syndrome and cared for by the state. My older brother(who lives in NV) has informed me that I need to obtain a surrogate court letter of administrator from the courthouse to be able to claim the accounts at my fathers bank( about $14,000) What will the process entail to get this letter of administrator? Will this be a long and/or costly process. Thank you.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you

Good morning. First, I'm sorry for your loss. I know, having lost my own parents, just how difficult this is for you! Second, with regard to your specific question, if the total value of his probate estate is $30,000 or less in personal property (including bank accounts)(excluding real estate), there is a very abbreviated process for you to go through rather than the full probate process. You can do this by yourself quickly, easily and inexpensively. If you go to the following website: http://www.nycourthelp.gov/diy/smallestate.html .. it will walk you through the process step by step on line.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have one question: What is my total charge for the the services that have been rendered by you andXXX@XXXXXX.XXX - $36 USD- is that correct?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for following up. Yes, that is all you will be charged for your question. There will be no additional charge when you ask a single question. After we're finished, I will contact customer service to insure that you will incur no additional charges. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One other question. According to the disclaimer below, your answer is not considered legal advice but merely a guide. As such, it is suggested that I seek legal advice as I should not, according to said disclaimer,
"read the response to propose a specific action". But the purpose of my question was precisely to know what action to take. To the extent that I am now not certain what action to take, as your advice is not legal, how is this really useful to me?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate you following up. Under JustAnswer guidelines and State bar restrictions, we are not able to establish an attorney - client relationship. But, I have given you precisely the information you need to handle your situation. It's the same information that I would provide you had you come into my office and retained me as your lawyer.
Richard, Attorney
Experience: 29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer. I rated you yesterday September 4th. Are we all done?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for checking back. Yes, we are finished. :) If you need help in the future, I'll be glad to help, but for now, we're done.