TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

Wife passed and no will. I helped pay off House while I lived

Wife passed and no will. I helped pay off House while I lived there with her and well before she passed but she didn't put my name on the title. Title has now gone through probate and they put the title in my name do I still need to give half to her daughter since the the title is now in my name?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

The daughter is entitled to half of the estate, and that includes the house. Even though you paid for part of the mortgage while you were married, since your name was not on the deed, that means it still fully belonged to your wife. Based on what you wrote, I do think that your step daughter has a valid claim to half of the house. Of course, that assumes that she wasn't given other assets to make up for it. For example, if the equity in the house is $20,000 (i.e., the rest is mortgaged), and if there are other assets in the estate worth $20,000, then the daughter could theoretically take those other assets and give you the house. Of course, another possibility is simply that the daughter doesn't know what she's entitled to and simply won't take any action to get any assets.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.