John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.

My wife passed away in Dec 2012. I know I can use her date

My wife passed away in Dec 2012. I know I can use her date of death for the basis of the inherited stock I received. Can I use another date?
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Yes, it is possible to set an alternate valuation date for ALL estate assets. That date will set the value (and basis) for the stock and all other estate assets. This date can be 6 months after date of death.

Here is the instructions to form 706. Page 9 discusses the details of alternate valuation.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is six months after the date of death the only date other than the actual date of death that can be used?