Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

Hi. When a person has a Trust set up in one state, but dies

Hi. When a person has a Trust set up in one state, but dies in another state, are there any complications that arise with the death being out of the state the Trust is written in.

if so, what are they, and how do you handle the problem.

Thanks slp
Hi and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. I am happy to help. There are no complications with regard to the Trust if it is set up in one state and the person dies in another state. The jurisdiction is determined by the Trust document and follows the laws of the state designated. So for example, if someone lived and died in Arizona but had a Delaware Trust, the law of Delaware would apply to the trust. I hope this response answers your question. If you need any clarification or follow up, let me know. Best regards, Damien
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Trust set up in AZ, trustee thinking about becoming a resident of Oregon, because of right to die in that state. Would the Trust still be valid if the trustee changed their state of residence?

Hi Linda: The trust would still be valid. The trust is governed by the laws of the state set forth in the trust; or where the trust was created. The trustee or beneficiary can live anywhere in the US. I hope this helps you. Best regards, Damien
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for the information. slp

Hi Linda:

Your welcome. Have a great day! Best regards, Damien