Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
11068102

Can a girlfriend sue the heirs of her deceased boyfriend, for

Can a girlfriend sue the heirs of her deceased boyfriend, for assets of the deceased, in the State of Kansas, after living with him less than 6 months.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

No, not simply based on her status as a girlfriend. If they bought items together then it would be possible under a co-ownership or joint ownership theory but not just because she was his girlfriend.

Customer:

This specific item is a truck titled in deceased name only with a loan that was POD. Can she file a partnership claim?

JD 1992 :

Only if she can prove that she paid on the truck and then it would be a minimal amount.

Customer:

Thank we will continue to pursue this matter.

JD 1992 :

You're very welcome.

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you on this and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I get credit for my work. The website only gives credit to the expert if you give a Positive Rating.