Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
18215332

Hello. I have foolishly allowed my taxes to be handled by my

Hello. I have foolishly allowed my taxes to be handled by my parents tax attorney my whole life without ever speaking to him. I have always been told that, because my income is low and the documented part is inheritance, I did not need to concern myself with my own tax business. Embarrassingly, this has been going on for 20 years. I have recently realized that the fact that I have never signed any tax forms indicates that I must have signed a POA over to the atty in my early 20s, having no idea what "power of atty meant at that age. I have been observing various corporations doing business with my name. As I make written inquiries to these corporations, they respond as though I am a legal non entity. I plan to retain an atty soon. My questions are; 1) Would you say that it is a safe bet that, as I contact the aforementioned corporations, they are consulting with the POA agent and sending duplicates of correspondence? 2) I know that there are 3 ways to revoke the POA in GA. I need to do the written way. Does it need to be witnessed and notarized? Do you have any advice about insulating the revocation from challengability? There is $ at stake. And 3)Does the revocation have to refer to the POA document in specificity? Do I need access to the POA document, or can I revoke it sight unseen?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
1) Would you say that it is a safe bet that, as I contact the aforementioned corporations, they are consulting with the POA agent and sending duplicates of correspondence?

You don't say what the business of these corporations are, or how they are using your name. It is possible that the current POA is in fact the person running the corporation and he will know about your correspondence.

2)I know that there are 3 ways to revoke the POA in GA. I need to do the written way. Does it need to be witnessed and notarized? Do you have any advice about insulating the revocation from challengability? There is $ at stake.

Revocation need not be witnessed or notarized to be legal, but if you fear a challenge to the document then do so. Also, if it needs to be recorded to be effective regarding real estate, notarization is usually a requirement. I don't know that there is any way to challenge a revocation of a POA. Once people know about the revocation, the POA becomes useless. It can no longer be relied upon by anyone. No one will deal with a POA knowing it has been revoked.

3) Does the revocation have to refer to the POA document in specificity? Do I need access to the POA document, or can I revoke it sight unseen?

It can be done without specific reference to the document but it is best to identify it as best you can with what you know about it. It's possible that over the years it might have been recorded. If so you can obtain a copy of it and refer to the specific recording numbers.

I hope this Answer is helpful and that you will give it a positive rating. If not, then do not enter a rating at this time and send back a Reply for more information or clarification. You should consult a local attorney to verify that this information is accurate for your state. Thank you for using Pearl.com- Just Answer. We appreciate your business.

Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience: 30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters