Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
11068102

How do I file a claim against my ex-husbands estate in Portland,

How do I file a claim against my ex-husband's estate in Portland, Oregon for child support arrears amounting to $23,428.49?

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

You have to file a formal Claim against the estate via the adminstrator of the estate.

JD 1992 :

There is a limited amount of time to do so once notice to creditors has been published.

JD 1992 :

The exact procedures are covered by rule 115.005 of the Oregon statutes which you can find at http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/115.005

JD 1992 :

However, child support is a priority claim.

JD 1992 :

The best thing to do is, as you mention, hiring an attorney to do the paperwork.

JD 1992 :

You can find one at www.lawyers.com.

JD 1992 :

That website will allow you to search by area of practice, which would be "probate", and then by location and you would type in the name of the town where the deceased lived at the time of his death.

JD 1992 :

The website is showing you are offline so I will save and exit so I can assist others. If you have any additional questions please feel free to ask them in this thread. I will be online most of the day but it may take a little while for me to answer if I am assisting others.

Customer:

Thank you very much for the information.