Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

Mother in law just passed away. In addition to the burial

Mother in law just passed away. In addition to the burial plot where she was buried, she also has six additional plots that were given to her by her father who is also deceased. What steps do we need to take to sell those plots? Do we need to have the ownership first transferred from my grandfather to my mother's estate or can they be transferred directly into my name and my sister's name? Are there laws that are relevant to the sale of cemetery plots? Thank you very much.
Carole Fenton

TMcJD :

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

TMcJD :

Traditionally, ownership of the land in cemeteries is retained by the cemetery itself and they sell you or other family members the right to be buried there. Those records are retained by the cemetery and when owners pass away, the family may contact the cemetery, present a death certificate and entitlement, and ask that records be updated showing who is then entitled to use those burial lots. Thus, you would simply need death certificates for you grandfather and mother and then contact the cemetery about their deaths.

JACUSTOMER-v281sdzr- :

Thank you. Once they are in our names can we sell them privately or does the cemetery have the first right to purchase them at the original purchase price?

TMcJD :

You're welcome! That would be something they control via their rules and regulations and something that you could ask them.

JACUSTOMER-v281sdzr- :

Thank you and have a great day. You've given us the direction we need.

TMcJD :

Great. You have a great day too!