Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
63724254

My brother and I just inherited our fathers old house. I renovated

My brother and I just inherited our fathers old house. I renovated it, using estate money, moved in and am caring for and improving the value of it. My brother feels that I should pay him rent but he isn't able to do any of the work.

Attorney2020 :

As tenants in common or even joint tenants, you are not required to pay him rent as long as you give him the opportunity to reside in the house as well. If your brother does not want to reside in the house, then you do not have to pay him rent. However, you if you're residing in the house and not allowing him the opportunity to reside in the house as well, you will owe him the 50 percent of the fair market rental value of the home.

Attorney2020 :

I hope this helps. Please rate my answer. Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks.

Customer:

Thank you.