J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in estate planning including wills, trusts and succession planning.

I had a child out of wedlock forty years ago. She was legally

I had a child out of wedlock forty years ago. She was legally adopted by another couple. Does she have any legal rights to my estate?

Hello and Welcome! Thank you for allowing me to be of service to you. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) I will provide you with honest information and not necessarily to tell you might be hoping to hear.

Will you please let me know what State you reside in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

A legally adopted person is not treated as a child of the person's birth parent for purposes and therefore is not entitled to a portion of the birth parent's estate.

The Wisconsin Statute is Chapter 854 - Transfer on Death - General Rules 854.20 Status of adopted persons. Here is a link to the code in its entirety:

All my best & encouragement.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated 3 or higher. If for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" or “continue conversation” tab.

All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.