Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws

how does NJ estate law apportion fees between co-executors (2).

why does your website say "credit card invalid" when Bank of America says my visa card is valid, overpaid $15 and has been in good standing since 1987?
I have spent hours trying to get this corrected & therefore think JUSTANSWER should pay the attny & not charge my credit card at all
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking. I apologize about your credit card issue, the experts are independent of the site and have no idea what issue you were having with your credit card, but customer service was notified about that problem.

Unless the Will states something to the contrary, the statutory commissions are increased by 1% for each additional Co-Executor. The fees are generally split equally by the co-executors. The NJ Statutory single executor fees are as follows:

a. 6% on all estate income; b. 5% of the estate up to $200,000; c. 3.5% on excess above $200,000 up to $1,000,000; d. 2% on excess over $1,000,000 or such other percentage as the Superior Court may determine.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I intend to give you a top rating. For your information, the other executor is more skilled than I am, & therefore did more of the work. He thinks I should only get the add'l 1%. I was extremely close to the deceased. I did not know executors get paid. The heir specifically requested the other individual be the executor,too, & his wish was granted. But the heir has been so obnoxious, I decided to take whatever the law provides.

The phrase "generally split" makes me a bit wary & wondering what problems probably await me. Other than the specific bequests, the will spills the rest of the assets into a trust, which again names me as co-trustee. Does NJ law specify anything about trustee fees?

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for your response.

Yes, the term "generally split" equally means that in cases where the co-executors do the work together, they would get the same amount. However, the co-executors can agree to or the court can order a different division of the fees, absent a provision in the will to the contrary.

If the other executor objects to your fee or the heir objects to your fee, the court can review and adjust the amount of percentage each executor receives.

Unlike executors, there are no statutory trustee fees in NJ. If the trust does not provide for fees and a trustee wants a fee, they have to go to court to have the court set a fee based on the amount of work involved.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws