Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

In the state of Mississippi, if you open an estate and publish

In the state of Mississippi, if you open an estate and publish notice to creditors and there is mortgaged property that is part of the estate, does the trustee on the Deed of Trust had to file a claim with the estate or can they conduct a Trustee Sale without court permission?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Under Mississippi law, if the loan is in default, the lender of a mortgage has the right to either pursue a judicial foreclosure or a power of sale under the mortgage documents. If the lender pursues a judicial foreclosure, they must go through process of filing for a court hearing of which the estate will get a notice. But, if the lender pursues foreclosure under power of sale, the only notices required are those in the mortgage documents themselves. But, even then, the trustee under the deed of trust will generally provide the executor of the estate a 30 day notice even though not required. But, if the house is being inherited by relatives, if the loan is not in default, the Federal Garn St. Germain act prevents a lender from accelerating a note or forcing a refinance on a loan upon the borrower's death and subsequent transfer to the heirs. As long as the loan is current and remains current they can continue to pay without refinancing.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your information worked out just fine. We're negotiating a resolve.

Great! And, thanks so much for letting me know! I appreciate that!