Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.

If I am on the deed to the home how could my mother even have

If I am on the deed to the home how could my mother even have entered into a contract to sell it? Can I refuse to sign? Would there be any legal repurcussions to her or myself? It seems to me that her real estate broker didn't do his due diligence by having me sign the contract to sell in the first place.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Hi there and thanks so much for requesting me! The property cannot be sold without your signature. If your mother entered into a contract to sell the property without your signature, and she did not reference in the contract that a condition precedent is that that she would need to get your consent to sell the property, then if you don't agree to sell, she is going to be in default and subject to liability for the buyer's damages. But, the buyer is not going to be able to force the sale of the house because the buyer cannot force you to sell because you were not part of the contract. The broker would have culpability as well because the broker should have checked title to determine whether or not your mother was the sole owner.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you know what the extent of the damages could be? A months rent ? Punitive damages? (Are we talking a thousand dollars or thousands of dollars?) And would she then have to hire an attorney?

The damages are likely to be the costs incurred by the buyer....such as inspections, loan application fees, plus appraisals, if any. Other than that, there would not likely be damages. She would only need an attorney if sued; what would be more likely to happen is she'll get a demand letter for the buyer's damages and then she should just pay the damages if the contract doesn't give her an "out" in the event she can't get both of you to agree to sell. A court would not award punitive damages in a case like this.
Thanks again for the positive rating! It's very much appreciated!