How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 32622
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Two questions: Can I set up a trust fund for my grandkids

This answer was rated:

Two questions:
Can I set up a trust fund for my grandkids myself or do I need an attorney?
How do I go about writing my own will?

Thank you
Rita Edery
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Trust law is quite complex. Trust law has been with us for hundreds of originated in the 12 century under English common law. It was designed to help protect wealthy landowners property from taxes to the king at death. Over the years laws have changed to reduce the effectiveness of trusts (to allow the king to take more money on death of a person) and trusts have changed to circumvent the laws.

Today, trusts can be used for may purposes, including limiting taxes on transfer of wealth

But since trust law is complex, an attorney who specializes in trust law must be used to create a trust.

Wills are much more straightforward.

You can create a will with a product like this

And do it yourself. Easy.

OR...if you have an attorney create a trust, they can typically add a will to the package for a nominal fee (the cost would be much less than the cost to create a trust)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the response.

The trust is for my 2 grandkids who are 2 & 5 years old. We want each to have x amount of dollars (if any $ left over from my & my wife's estate) Presently We have 2 bank CD's which are POD to them.

Since they are minors we don't want their parents to have access to the funds. Would you be able to prepare a will & trust for us & how much would it cost?


I am not permitted to create these documents for you. That would violate the terms of service of this website. I can not do this for you...but thank you for the offer.

You will want to have a local attorney create the trust for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since we can do the will ourselves can we just add our monetary wishes in the will instead of creating a trust? What are the tax consequences? Does the will need to be notarized?

Ahh...good question.

The short answer is that if you want to keep the money for the children and NOT allow parents to access the money? You are better off creating a trust.

But default, if you leave property via a will, the money will pass to the children, but the court will appoint the parent a trustee for the property (so the parent would have access to the property)

So you woud want to create a trust for the child if it is possible the money would pass while the child is still a minor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last question regarding the will. Can I hand write it myself & sign it instead of using the software ?


The state of Delaware does not recognize holographic wills. A holographic will is one written in the testator's handwriting but not signed by any witness. Also oral wills are not recognized in Delaware.

So you will want to pay for the "kit" and use that (since it has the language needed in the will)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. I will purchase the kit. Just out of curiosity would a holographic will be valid if signed by a witness?


Thank you for your input . You answered my questions and provided the information I requested. This is the 2nd time I have used Just Answer and

was pleased with the results both times.


Could we request you if we need help in the future?

Thank you. You can always request me. To request me simply put for psimmons In the question

You could write up your will by hand and have it witnessed. However, it may not need all the requirements of the probate statute. This is the reason it is worth purchasing the kit. The kit will contain all the language required by law.
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 32622
Experience: 12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.
P. Simmons and 6 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • My husband has been driving me insane with questions regarding estate issues since his mother died. I'm not a lawyer! Thanks to JustAnswer, I was able to calm his concerns. Loretta T Illinois
< Previous | Next >
  • My husband has been driving me insane with questions regarding estate issues since his mother died. I'm not a lawyer! Thanks to JustAnswer, I was able to calm his concerns. Loretta T Illinois
  • Thanks Adam!! - A very direct and understandable response - you have been a great help! Happy Customer Ellicott City, MD
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas McJD

    Thomas McJD


    Satisfied Customers:

    Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas McJD's Avatar

    Thomas McJD


    Satisfied Customers:

    Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
  • RayAnswers's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Texas lawyer for 29 years in Estate law
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • Dimitry Esquire's Avatar

    Dimitry Esquire


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration